No matter how many landing pages you’ve optimized or how many offers you’ve sent, customers are still prone to abandon their carts. Reengage them and compel them to come back to purchase with these best practices for cart abandonment.
- Make your excellent return policy explicit.
- If you’re able to offer free shipping, do so—you’ll capture the sale before the cart is ever abandoned.
- Capture a shopper’s email address right away, so that even if they click to the next phase of the buying process and decide to abandon, you’ll retain their email address to trigger your cart abandonment emails.
- Tailor the frequency and number of abandoned cart emails to the purchase at hand, and that item’s typical purchase window. For example, some expensive purchases require more time to justify the spend, so the purchase window is larger. Conversely, an abandoned cart email about a heating or cooling system should be sent quickly to be helpful, as people with dysfunctional furnaces or air conditioning will likely want a quick solution. Pay attention to your industry’s typical purchase window, and send abandoned cart emails accordingly.
- For most products, trigger the first email between one and two hours of abandonment; the second email between 12- 48 hours; and the third between 48-72 hours of the original abandoned purchase.
- Use a different email template for each send.
- In the email subject line, call out the abandoned item or category specifically. A personalized email subject line that includes the abandoned category or abandoned product increases open rates by 10%.
- Show the abandoned item clearly in the message.
- Recommend additional products to encourage a purchase, even if the original item is no longer desirable.
- Add recommendations for additional purchases to increase conversion by 10% and click-through rate by 50%.
- Add a link to go directly back to the cart.
- An opt-out must be present. We recommend placing one link at the top of the email in addition to the one at the bottom.
- Include rating and review information for the abandoned purchase, if possible.
You can drastically increase the amount of recaptured revenue from abandoned carts with a more personalized approach. Never send a generic abandoned cart email, and make sure that product reviews and special shipping offers are highly visible throughout the transaction process. Learn more in our new report, Retail Touchpoints Optimized.