In part three of my conversation with Christopher S. Penn, author of Marketing White Belt and Vice President of Marketing Technology at SHIFT Communications, we discuss how email marketing fits into the overall marketing mix and how social media integrates with email marketing. You can check out part 1 of the interview here and part 2 of the interview here.
How does email marketing fit into the overall marketing mix?
- Email is an ingredient of the rest of your marketing campaigns.
- If you leave email out, your program will suffer, and in some cases it will suffer greatly.
- Even when it comes to people who you don't think of as being particularly responsive to email, such as college students, offering them something of value will create success.
- The real problem is that most marketers are sending garbage email that nobody wants.
- One example is run by Vocus, running a program called Help A Reporter, which provides opportunities for companies to earn media. People want these emails and get angry when they don't get them on schedule.
How does email marketing integrate with social media?
- Email marketing and social media are complementary to each other.
- Social media is a pull mechanism to bring people in and engage them; email marketing is a push mechanism to broadcast your content.
- The two work together on a piece of content; when you have something like a blog post, socially you draw attention to it and have conversations about it, while with email you can distribute that content.
- These work together to create virtuous cycles; one is called a content feedback loop, where you have content that you email to seed to social audiences to create conversation, driving traffic back to the content and gets people on the email list, which repeats the cycle.