This is one in a series of columns exploring the examples and trends highlighted in The Best of the Email Swipe File.
Type: Promotional email
Send date: 4/12/2013
Subject line: New Ballet Flats & free shipping on all orders!
“The really interesting thing about TOMS’ use of responsive design in this email is that the hero image is animated only in the narrow screen version, with the shoes changing as the feet push back and forth. They are serving up a mobile-sized gif instead of cramming a desktop-sized gif onto a mobile screen, keeping the load time as quick as possible.”
—Kristina Huffman, Design Practice Lead
View this TOMS Shoes email on Pinterest >>
View similar pins:
United Airlines email >>
This TOMS Shoes email is part of the MOBILE-FRIENDLY trend:
The wide screens of desktops are being rapidly replaced by more modest tablet screens and challengingly small smartphone screens, and the pixel-precision of mice is being replaced by fingers on touchscreens. This transition is having a dramatic effect on email design and ushering in a variety of new tactics.
1. Designing for the Mobile Inbox (whitepaper)
2. Design Tips: Mobile + Email (guide)
3. CareerBuilder’s Responsive Email Design Results (case study)
4. Designing for the Mobile Inbox (video)
5. 7 Responsive Email Design FAQs (video)
6. Find Success with Responsive Design (video)
7. The Many Gradations of Mobile Email Design (column)