Quick Tips for Growing Email Subscribers
If you could start with only a single piece of data about a customer, you'd probably choose email because this channel is direct, easily measurable, and can be immediately activated. For this reason, consider email the bedrock audience because it's so foundational to your overall marketing.
In a recent survey of marketers, 91% of respondents report being involved with email marketing campaigns on a regular basis. But some of the most popular tactics for subscriber growth don't have the highest effectiveness ratings. Instead, they may be widely used simply because they're so easy to implement. These tactics include:
- General email sign-up form on website (74% of survey respondents use, 42% rate it as effective)
- Sign-up requests specific to different sections of website (52% use, 45% rate it as effective)
- Email capture via Facebook (45% use, 31% rate it as effective)
Offline tactics are high in reported effectiveness, but are used by a relatively small group of marketers because they require a call center or brick-and-mortar location that not all brands have. In this category, these are the top performers that drive email subscriber growth:
- Capture email during inbound sales calls (23% use, 71% rate it as effective) and service calls (23% use, 63% rate it as effective)
- Acquire email for loyalty program registration in-store (18% use, 67% rate it as effective)
- Sales associate requests email during check-out process (20% use, 57% rate it as effective)
- Email acquisition tied to emailed receipt or ticket delivery (13% use, 55% rate it as effective)
For marketers who don't have the option to test these offline tactics, consider implementing parallel tactics online, such as:
- Require email to create an account on website (57% use, 70% rate it as effective)
- Registration with incentive on website (50% use, 63% rate it as effective)
- Drive online loyalty program registration requiring email address (35% use, 58% rate it as effective)
- Promote content via social media that requires email registration to access (39% use, 59% rate it as effective)
The greatest promise may lie in the tactics that are not as commonly used, but are highly rated as effective . Several mobile tactics could also fall under this category:
- Option to opt into email when viewing mobile app content (12% use, 59% rate it as effective)
- Require email to register mobile app (13% use, 55% rate it as effective)
- Paid mobile ads (12% use, 41% rate it as effective)
You can implement subscriber growth tactics online or offline, depending on how your customers prefer to interact with your brand. Meet your customers where they are, and refine your strategies as each communication channel evolves.
To learn more about the results of our survey of marketers, download The Audience Growth Survey—part of our Subscribers, Fans, & Followers series—today!